Are you up for the challenge?
Dragon boat racing could be an ideal team-building exercise for your workplace, or you could challenge another business to a friendly competition!
What is Dragon Boat Racing?
Dragon boat racing is one of the fastest growing water sports in the world today, yet it has been around for over two thousand years.In addition to being a very popular competitive sport, dragon boat racing is used by many communities to celebrate multiculturalism, provide fundraising opportunities for charity and create major recreational events the whole family can enjoy. Above all, dragon boat racing is great fun. It is an easy activity to learn. Anyone, young or old, at any level of fitness,can quickly adapt to and develop a passion for this sport. Personal satisfaction, team development and friendship are just a few of the benefits of this sport.By becoming a proud sponsor of The Cornwall Waterfest Dragon Boat Race, your company can benefit from the following:
- fantastic scope for corporate team building and promotion
- an excellent marketing opportunity within our community
- inexpensive exposure to thousands
- build company loyalty and morale by rallying behind your team entry
Build your team!
A team generally consists of 20 paddlers, a drummer at the bow and is guided by a steers person at the stern.
You must have 6 women minimum in boat at all times.
Teams combine power and rhythm to achieve maximum acceleration and speed over a specified distance. A perfectly synchronized team is not only visually spectacular, but almost always defeats a stronger, less synchronized team.
Each team is guaranteed 1 practice and 3 races and many of our paddlers have never been in the water before and are trying it for the very first time. Practice opportunities will be provided prior to race date.
Rules and Regulations
All team members are required to have waiver forms signed, and handed in on race day BEFORE they are able to compete or participate in a practice.
Participants under the age of 18 are required to have a parent or guardian sign their waver.
A $200 non-refundable registration fee is required to hold your team’s registration spot.
The Team Captain shall be responsible for:
organizing a team, as per the team eligibility requirements (see the Dragon Boat Racing Registration Package)
having each team member sign a waiver, and collecting all registration forms, waivers and entry fees and submitting them. Entries should be mailed or delivered in person to Cornwall Waterfest c/o Shortline Convenience 1300 Second Street W., Cornwall, Ontario K6J 1J3.
- organizing a practice time for your team. A Dragon Boat Committee member will assist you and your team in one practice. The practice session will take place the week prior to the race and will be 30-45 minutes in length.
- ensuring all team members are aware of the rules and regulations.
- providing team name and bio.
- organizing team members for team pictures and race times.
- promoting team spirit and organizing team shirts, hats, songs, mascots etc.
Dragon Boats and Equipment
Six (6) dragon boats are fully equipped with dragon head, tail, paddles, steering oar, drum and PFDs (life jackets). (Participants must use the paddles provided. They may use their own PFDs as long as they are Canadian Coast Guard approved.